Thursday, September 17, 2009

Catch Up

The kids are back in school, I am back to work, Jake is home from his massively long trip to Virginia, and my sister went back to CA. Well, that about sums it up, but what fun would this blog be if I didn't dive into the crazy details and gush about the adorable kids?!

So, my sister flew in from California with her little girl Gwen who's Elle's age so that I could start back at work the same day the kids had to start school. She was going to help out watching Elle and JD in the mornings until I came home since Jake was still in Virginia, but the real reason was to get her out here so we could play and have fun, and hopefully get her interested in moving out here! Anyway, we have a great story from day 1! How about a picture teaser?

Now doesn't she look all sweet and innocent? What great story could we possibly get from this? Well, we had been back from picking up Bronwyn and Gwen from the airport approximately 20 minutes - of which had been spent exchanging "welcome gifts", trying to calm all the crazy and excited kids down, get Nathan and Livy in bed because after all, they still had school the next day!, and trying to figure out sleeping arrangements for everyone else when Elle starts complaining that she got a crown up her nose. Huh? I gave her an "I'm sorry that you got a crown up your nose hug", but pretty much ignored her while blowing up an air mattress and a Princess bed, etc. Since she was still all happy that Gwen was here and was caught up in all the sleep-over excitement, she wasn't really crying or making a big deal of it, but every now and then she'd get quiet and say that her nose still hurt. Finally, she kind of laid down on the bed and with her head back Aunt B could see something red in her nose. Thinking it was dried blood and noticing that it was a little swollen, I touched her nose and it felt all hard and weird. So we took a closer look: nope, not dried blood - it was a little too pink and plastic-y and shiny. A flashlight helped in our diagnosis: a bead was somehow shoved up there so high there was just no getting it out. Panic struck. Then giggles. Then tears. We were all laughing and crying and worried, and grossed out at the thought of trying to dig it out with tweezers - what if Elle moved? I couldn't perform delicate surgery while I was laughing, and I needed to stop laughing because Elle had now stopped crying and was also thinking it was pretty funny and I couldn't have her thinking this was funny. Panic struck again - it was now almost 10 at night and the bead was still in there, no kids were in bed, there was still school and work in the morning, and the pediatrician's after hours clinic closes at 10. After being on hold for almost 10 min, I finally get to talk to a nurse at the pediatrician's office who tells me that if it were any earlier, she'd tell us to come right in, but now I'm going to have to take her in to the ER, and NOT try to get it out myself. Not what I wanted to hear for 2 reasons: 1) the ER is half and hour away, and how late were we going to end up being there?! and 2) the child's arm was still in a cast almost up to her shoulder and what would the ER doctors think? That I just never supervise this child or what?! The nurse took a little bit of pity on me and finally suggested a few things to try before we headed out, but only ended up making more nervous about trying to get it out myself. Still, though, it was better than another trip to AF hospital. So, we tried what she suggested, but nothing was working, it was really stuck. Elle was getting upset again, so I gave up and we started to get ready to go to the ER. All of a sudden, Elle started snorting and kind of gasping, and we rush over to her right as she sneezes and that blasted bead goes flying across the room! Now that was funny. Sort of anti-climatic in a way, but I was sooooo relieved that we didn't have to go to the ER for the second time in a few weeks.

The rest of the visit with Aunt B was slightly less eventful, but it was still a great time. The kids had so much fun hanging out and having a "cousin sleep over." We miss them a lot and keep pushing for the move. B and GB: you reading? you packing?

The kids are all doing well and adjusting to the new school year and liking their teachers. I can't believe Nathan is in 4th grade, I mean, I really remember 4th grade - that's big time. It seems like he just started kindergarten, where does the time go? Livy always does well in school and really enjoys learning in general. Last year in December or so, I landed a super sweet job working as an aide for the speech therapist. I feel so lucky to get to work at their school, be in close contact with their teachers, and it is so fun to peek in on their classes as I walk by in the halls. Jake is home in the mornings with Elle and JD and I think they have far too much fun together. Elle is always saying, "Daddy is my best friend". Don't even think about getting in between those two - she's serious - they are most definitely BFFs. Most of the time I get cut out of the picture for even the most day-to-day activities because she wants Daddy to do it for her. Oh well, at least JD likes me and maybe she'll come around some day.

Nathan is back in soccer full swing and being the super star that he always is on the field. Its so great to watch him work hard, do well, and be proud of himself. Livy was a very sensitive big sister and put gymnastics on hold since Elle had to opt out for her arm to heal and couldn't bear to watch Livy's class and not get to go to her own class the next day. So, they both hope to start up again in the next month or so. Jake is busy busy training hard for the upcoming 24 hours of Moab race that he'll be doing in October, and I am busy busy mentally preparing for the team support role MAMB is expected to fill. Not sure how 'MAMB' and 'team support' can fit into the same sentence, and I still don't have a clue how I'm going to keep the kids busy the whole time as well, but we are renting a little camp trailer so I'm sure either way it will be an adventure.

And I just have to share this video clip of JD. This was at one of Nathan's soccer games, and it was too cute. Grandpa D: be proud, he's been walking barely a month, and already has a soccer ball between his feet. I guess those soccer skills really run in the family. Nathan: watch out, he will be challenging you for the "Beckham" nick-name soon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYI4vslG-bs (sorry for the link, but I still can't get blogger to upload video . . .)

This second clip I came across while uploading the other one and thought it was so funny. The things the kids do when you aren't looking . . . video by Nathan. (never mind the pjs - all 4 of my kids have Spongebob jammies - they are a favorite around here!)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHKrPCuuhSA

3 comments:

  1. We read, and we were packing and then we went to Disneyland. Now Brodie and Gwen want to live in a hotel and go there everyday... I don't know that Utah competes....
    Video number two makes me miss your psycho kids and want to come back. Ps watch out for Dizzle he likes cross dressing and falling down tipsy while paparrazi chase him... not good news at such a young age look how Lindsay Lohan is turning out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I always fear my children putting things up there nose, I have yet to have a child do this but I am not holding my breathe with Josh.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least she has an excuse. She's a child. My dad shoved a piece of cotton in his ear with a coffee stirer at a hotel. He had forgotten to pack Q-tips. Two days later he was in so much pain that he had to go to the E.R. Nerd. She is beautiful though:)

    ReplyDelete