Friday, December 4, 2009

Somebody's growin' up - and I don't like it!



Ok, so I am way behind, but about a month ago, we moved JD into a big boy's bed. The crib was really barely hanging on, and I was so afraid of it just falling apart all around him. Elle gave him her toddler bed when she scored a pink Princess bed from a good friend (thanks Melissa, you're a life saver!!). He took to his new bed right away, thinking it was the coolest thing ever. I was prepared for the training we were going to have to go through to get him to stay in, I was not, however, prepared for the discovery that he can open his door! (And we have the twisty door knobs, not the kind of handle you just pull down on.) Who knew?! It wasn't even like it took him a few days of figuring it out - it was right away. I put him down the first night, closed his door, and camped out in the hallway ready to put him back into bed multiple more times that night - so imagine my surprise when he just opened his door and appeared in the hallway smiling at me. Too bad that in my surprise I laughed, because we all know what happens when you laugh - they do it again, and again, and again. Finally though, he settled down and quit coming out of his room. I was just about to sneak away thinking I had it made for the night, but decided to check on him one last time just in case, but surprise again, I couldn't see him in the room anywhere. He wasn't in the bed, under the desk, hiding behind the closet door, and I was pretty sure he didn't make it past me in the hallway, so I turned on the light and a little voice from the other corner says, "Hi Mommy!" I whipped around to see him sitting up on top the changing table. He had climbed up there so quietly, I never heard a thing and I was sitting right outside his door!
Yeah, I laughed again.
He stays in his bed pretty well by now, nap time is tough because there is always something more exciting going on, but he still comes down to visit me when he wakes up in the morning (sometimes VERY early) or sometimes he wanders into the play room and helps himself to his toys. The other day, as I walked up the stairs to wake up Nathan and Livy for school, I could hear voices and peeked around the door to see this -


Apparently, he didn't like the show that was on because before he noticed me taking pictures, I got this one too -

(yes, that is him changing the channel)
Let's recap-
1. My baby is old enough to be in a big boy's bed.
2. The crib is no longer needed.
3. My baby somehow miraculously knows how to open doors, turn on the TV, and change channels. (And I'm not talking randomly pushing buttons - I'm talking watching what is on for a few minutes, then deciding to change the channel, pushing the right button, and settling back in to watch the new channel for a few minutes until he changes his mind again.)
Oh, and did I mention that he's nearly potty trained?! At first I thought it was a fluke - he kept asking for "poppy" and running to the bathroom saying "poopie". Just to be funny, I sat him on the toilet and . . . he went!! So, for the last month, I've been toying with the idea of getting serious about it, but I don't want to pressure him too much and have the whole thing backfire on me - I mean, he's not even 2 yet. So, we go when he asks - quite a few times a day, I rarely have to change a poopie diaper anymore. He isn't consistent on the pee yet, but he's almost there! (Sorry for the borderline graphic-ness, but that's what you get when you read a Mom's blog)
Why do they have to grow up so fast?!

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. He sure is a cute (and smart) one. Luke will be three in March and he's still in his crib. I know, lame. And he climbs in and out all the time. We just need to get him a toddler bed and I don't want him to use Mia's because it's a little too girly for a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DIZZLE! Bring my baby back to me! I miss this little ratty monster so much! He is so funny changing the channels and hanging out on his changing table! Ugh I just want to squeeze his butt- in the most non-perverted not child molester way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love/hate relationship with the toddler bed. I miss the cage. He really is so adorable though!

    ReplyDelete