Even though my parents have lived in the USA since the 60's, they are still British citizens and since I had extended family still living in the UK I got the to enjoy some different toys and characters growing up. Ever heard of Paddington Bear? Oh, and the newly popular Mr. Men and Little Miss books? I was in LOVE with them by the time I was 6 or 7. My mom recently gave me all my old books - its a huge collection that I won't let my kids read without supervision - but they think its funny I used to read them. Yes they enjoy making me feel old. We discovered that they even have their own TV show on Boomerang now. J.D. loves it - especially Mr. Grumpy (strange choice for my "Happy JD").
Anyway, another book series I used to love was called Noddy. They were pretty old even when I used to read them - I looked it up and found that the books were originally published between 1949 and 1963, and then made into a TV series in 1955. He was a little wooden elf, I guess, or maybe a gnome?, who lived in Toyland, and even though he was a total sweetheart, he always seemed to get into trouble. Yesterday, I was out running errands with Elle, JD, and Gavin and I stopped to get them what Elle calls a "terrific sandwich" at my favorite: Subway. Waiting at the drivethru, I turned around to ask them what they wanted and saw JD sitting in his carseat all the way in the back row and burst out laughing at the first thought I had - Noddy! I hadn't thought of Noddy and all his nonsense for so long and yet, there he was sitting in the back seat! I whipped out my phone and took a picture. (Does that sound odd to anyone else? I guess not these days, who even uses a camera for taking pictures any more?) I knew I wouldn't be able to describe just how much he looked like that sweet little mischievous gnome from my childhood books. How could I not have thought of JD as a Noddy before now?! How had I not noticed the glaring similarities?!
What do you think?!





Mommy and I are DYING! He is naughty and Noddy! Ps Gnomeo and Juliet anyone?
ReplyDeleteWe had a Noddy book for Lincoln when he was little. We had no clue who he was. Kinda funny. JD is a sweet kid. Nice pictures!
ReplyDelete