Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Santa

Well, its been a while.  I don't know what happened to my blogtivation, but it tanked sometime last year.  I've loved blogging, but somehow its been nearly a year and a half since I've last written.  So many times I've come back but not known where to re-start.  I have stacks of photos and stories to be shared, but what brings me here today is an awesome conversation I had with J.D. earlier this morning that I HAVE to get written down!
A few weeks ago, Elle came home with some disturbing news.  Apparently word around first grade is that Santa doesn't really exist.  Its just your parents who buy the presents and then eat the cookies and milk left out for Santa.  Problem is, she didn't come talk to me in confidence to voice her concerns.  Nope, she matter of factly stated it, kind of like she was informing me, public service announcement style - right in front of JD!  I tried to diffuse the situation and give her the speech I had all prepared for this day, but the look of horror on his face was too heartbreaking for me to even try!!  I just stood there like a dummy with big eyes and jaw dropped.  Elle skipped off happy enough with the news, and JD stood there in shock for a few minutes, little 4 year old brain a churning away, but then seemed to shrug it off, kind of like he determined there was no way she could be right anyway.  I didn't even have to say anything!  He seemed to have it all worked out in his own mind and seemed ok with things, so the whole subject was dropped. Well this morning, out of nowhere, he sits down next to me and in a very serious voice says, "Mom?  Elle told me Santa doesn't exist, and that your mom and dad buy you all the presents, and that Dad comes upstairs and eats all the cookies and milk that is for Santa."  I knew I was in trouble.  Ahem.  "Well, JD.  What do you think?"  "I don't know if Santa really exists but I don't want Dad to eat all the cookies and milk!  Can we look on your computer to see if he really exists?"  Oh ok.  I googled Santa.  We had lots of picture evidence.  He started talking about the reindeer and how the sleigh can fly and I seemed to have made it through without really saying anything again!  Yes, point for me!!  But then I hear this.  "So can you tell Dad not to eat Santa's cookies and milk?  Cause I want Santa to exist but if Dad eats his cookies and milk ... he can't live!  I just want Dad to stay in his bed and wait for his presents and not eat all the cookies and milk except for the little bits and crumbs I know he leaves, and just let Santa live!"  I tried soooooo hard not to laugh.  He could tell, and got a little mad and even more serious about making sure Dad wasn't eating all the cookies.  He kept saying, "I just want Santa to live and if Dad eats all the cookies he can't live."  I really like how he works through things!  First we consult google to find out the truth, then he determines that if he can see pictures of him, he must exist, but is afraid that he can't exist if he doesn't live, and who can live without cookies and milk?!  How dare anyone not wait in their beds and beat Santa to the treats left out for him?  Oh man, I really love this little guy, even though he challenges everything I say and makes me want to tear my hair out most days.  I can't wait for Jake to come home because JD has a "serious talking to" scheduled for him.  : )              

No comments:

Post a Comment