Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Way overdue update

We've had quite a few things going on here, in fact, so many that the thought of blogging it all is slightly overwhelming. But, putting it off only gets me farther behind, so here goes -

Maybe its because I'm MAMB, maybe its because I have just WAY too many pictures to go through, but I have seriously neglected documenting the whole mountain bike race season that had taken over my life until this point. Jake had been racing the whole season that started back in March, but because of soccer, Nathan jumped into the scene a little late. His first race was, well, memorable out at 5 mile pass. It was one of those many crazy pouring rain days that we got to enjoy throughout June, and really, there just aren't words - you just had to be there. The mud was so thick and deep that I didn't even let the other kids out of the car the whole time we were there. Well, actually, I did - Elle needed to go to the bathroom (I think it was all the rain running down the car windows) but I was convinced that no-one else would even get a chance after she got stuck in a bog of mud that I had to pull her out of, and she almost lost her boots in! Sweet Aunt Sophie hung out in the car with the kids, while I braved the weather and risked my camera's life to take pictures of the race. After major delays and lots of altering of the course, Nathan hopped on his BMX bike, trudged through the mud, and somehow got himself to the start line. He did very well and was pretty far out in front of the pack until the home stretch when he took a bad line, lost control trying to pass someone, and tipped over - right into the mud! He got passed by quite a few while he tried to get himself and his bike upright and freed from the mud, and ended up running his bike across the finish line. But, somehow, in all that freezing rain, he felt the fever and contrary to what I had hoped for, his first race would not be his last. So Jake bought him a little used mountain bike, fixed it up, and taught him how to use the gears. He spent many hours up at the track by our house "training" for many more Saturday races.




His next race was in Draper:


Nathan took 3rd at Snowbird and Jake took 2nd - great races for both of them, but again it started to rain after Nathan's race, and we didn't stick around to watch Jake's (and I still haven't heard the end of it).
On to Solitude - It was a long hot day, but I absolutely LOVE Solitude - it's so pretty, and since I had already missed a bunch of races due to soccer games and rain, I took a lot of pictures :)
The next race was in Jackson Hole, and since we go to Jake's parent's cabin in Wyoming at least once every summer, we were able to make a whole trip of it, and we had a GREAT time. We even got to enjoy both sets of grandparents when my parents met us up there to watch my racers! After seeing all the "fun" (?) Nathan had been having, Livy wanted to race as well. She did awesome for her first time, and even raced her little pink not mountain bike that I think weighs more than her. She completed the whole course (the young ones can opt to do only one lap and then have their race time prorated), but did say to Dad who was following her for encouragement, "Who voted for 3 laps?!" What a tough girl! So, most of my featured pics are of her, but don't miss Jake's injury shot that even I was surprised I nabbed as he flew by! At that point, we had seen the dusty, dirty shorts and knew there had been a crash, but my trusty Sony caught the blood! Crash and all, he still finished a strong 2nd! Go team Weber!
The last race of the Intermountain Cup was held up at The Canyons at Park City last week, but since Jake had already left for Virginia for a month-long army school, it was up to me to get the kids up there. I don't think Jake was disappointed for missing at all (please take note of sarcasm here). He was trying to hang on to enough points to clinch a podium spot for the entire ICUP race series, but due to this missed race, ended up in a "technical 4th". I say technical, because 2 of the top racers had already moved up to another category mid-season but still placed in his category, so he really got 2nd, and would have definitely been on the podium had he been able to be there. Bummer, but something tells me there's always next year . . .
p.s. Livy decided to give it another go and did really well again - in fact, she didn't finish too far behind Nathan, who also placed well.

Ok, enough about bikes, I know it seems like it, but that isn't exactly ALL we do . . . even though just as I was getting excited for a break, Nathan's fall season soccer coach calls Monday afternoon to let me know that practice would be on Tuesday nights, starting the next day. Oh well.

So, on to the other kids who seem to have been slightly neglected - J.D. has HUGE news! He is finally getting a new "upright" view of life and is WALKING!! woo-hoo!! We are so proud, he just up and decided to get going while we were in Wyoming, and shame on me for not having pictures or video of it yet. :( I mean, we've been waiting 18 months for this day, so come on, get it together! He is so cute shuffling around like a little old man. To add to that image, he even started folding his hands behind the small of his back as he walks around the house. I love it even though it means my baby is growing up.

And Elle, poor Elle. We had a minor incident the day after the kids and I came home from our Wyoming trip - we were all getting ready for church and Elle came down to my bathroom to get her hair done when I noticed she was wearing church shoes and no tights. I sent her back up to her room to get them, but somehow only a couple of steps up, she fell and we don't know exactly what happened, but I knew right away it wasn't good. Thoughts of a broken arm or dislocated elbow concerned me, and after watching her for a bit decided to head to the Emergency Room. Since all my neighbors had already left for church, and Jake had stayed in Wyoming for another day or two, I was on my own with all the kids in the ER. Not really something I would wish on anyone, but what annoyed me more was the fact that even though we were a total circus act - it didn't get us out of there any sooner! We spent nearly 5 hours there, but we came home with a diagnosis of a broken elbow. I hadn't even realized you could break your elbow, but leave it up to Elle! The break goes straight across the back of her humerus just above the elbow joint, but should heal up nicely, we hope. You know what would be really cool? - her actual x-ray scanned in here! But I don't have it, so here's a picture of her all casted up instead. Purple was her choice, and it is actually pretty cute - just hard to find clothes that fit over the cast. Good thing its August where she can wear tank tops and sun dresses!

And just because they are super cute, and J.D. loves the motorcycle so much I'm adding this picture of the 2 of them together. Every time we go outside, he has to sit on it for a least a few minutes. And when we aren't outside, he stands on the chair in the window, staring out at it saying "vroom, vroom".
Livy also has a bit of news, but I'll save that for another day because the picture documentation hasn't been downloaded from my camera yet, and I have been working on this seemingly endless post for long enough. But, I will give you a hint: 13 inches donated to Locks of Love!

Come again! :)

1 comment:

  1. Fab post lady! Your family is so freakin' rad. Sorry to hear about Elle but I'm sure she was a tough girl! Can't wait to see Livy's post!

    ReplyDelete