Elle's first game was just as hilarious as I expected it to be - "swarm ball" as Grandpa D calls it - was pretty much all the 4 year old kids could manage. At least most of them "swarmed" the ball in the general direction of the correct goal they were trying to score on. But when I say most, I don't necessarily mean Elle. At this age, lots of kids score on the wrong goal, but even that would have an acceptable improvement. Turns out, she got all dressed up in her new team jersey, pink and black cleats, pink shin guards (only they get covered up by all black socks, bummer) and ready to go; but once the whistle blew, the concept of the game eluded her completely. Oh, she knew from practice that the point of soccer was to kick the ball and try to get it in the big net, and she could do that when her team was all lined up nicely in front of the goal each with their own ball, but once all those kids started running after just one ball . . . she just ran too: head down, full speed - without ever a clue as to where the ball actually was or where she was going. She just ran like a wild horse in the pack.
And loved it.
Here's a cute picture of her team with the coach before they got started -
And the rest of them looked like this -

I love the pack of kids all running free. That is except for Elle who was so busy grinning at us she hadn't realized they all started running yet. Nice.
I love the pack of kids all running free. That is except for Elle who was so busy grinning at us she hadn't realized they all started running yet. Nice.
But then, to our surprise, drum roll please . . . she actually kicked the ball! (would it ruin the proud moment if I admitted that it was the start of the second half and the coach let her kick off? nah, we'll take contact with the ball anyway we can get it.)
Anyway, it was adorable to say the least to watch all those tiny bodies running, running. And she has been asking me every few minutes when her next game is, she can't wait.
Livy is usually such a quiet book worm that I often forget about this crazy competitive spirit she keeps hidden away as her secret weapon. (So far we've only seen it come out during the bike races). I've watched her during practice and she always does what the coach asks, behaves nicely, and doesn't give trouble, but she seems almost silly and embarrassed when its her turn to run a drill and I never thought soccer was going to turn out to be "her thing". So I was completely shocked when her game started to see her right in the middle of the action the entire time with her game face on. She played all out the entire first half before the coach finally called her a sub and let her get a quick sip of water and a short rest before putting her right back in. This is her first time playing soccer and she still has a lot to learn about positions, passing, and getting over that swarm ball mentality, but I was proud of her effort and how hard she played -
even when being completely clobbered by 2 of her own teammates -
She's having a great time and once she gets her skills a little more refined, who knows? maybe it will be "her thing". Go Livy go!!
Nathan was so excited to make the club team FC Blaze this year. I was so excited for the great coaching opportunities he'll get over playing in the city league where they have to beg parent volunteers to coach the teams. He made the age cut off by less than a week, so unfortunately after just turning 10, he gets to play with most of the kids about to turn 12 (and look like they are going on 15). He plays hard, though, even among those kids who just tower over him.
My cute little #2 -
And just a fun fact about this soccer season: Elle wears #1, Nathan #2, and Livy #3. If only I could get their numbers in order of ages for next year that would be too cool!
Wait, did I just say next year?
you are super woman!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE IT!! I love all the pictures! Elles team huddle is adorable! I totally want to come watch there games. I AM BEING SERIOUS, will you tell me what times? thanks!
ReplyDelete