Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Nathan is Nine!!

I have a 9 year old - its true. Its weird, I know, I can remember being totally freaked out for his 1st birthday!
We set up his tent last night and there was supposed to be a big slumber party in there, but after an hour of fighting with Elle, she was sent off to her own bed, and about an hour after that I went up to check on Nathan and Livy and found an empty tent! So, no one actually slept in it, but there was quite the party before bed (I should post the video of "baby break dancing"), and they have been "camping out" in it all day.
We had a tiny cake and ice cream party with the family for which I made a soccer ball cake, and if you know me - I don't do cakes, but it sort of looked like a soccer ball and Nathan liked it, so I guess it counts, and we will be going to see Transformers 2 since it opens tomorrow. He got all sorts of bike gear: a new helmet, some gloves, and the cutest little pair of padded spandex bike shorts for racing (even I couldn't stop giggling at the tiny toothpicks that walked out of the dressing room at the bike shop), oh and a new derailer (and no, MAMB does not know or care how you spell bike parts).
So, in honor of his big day, here's 9 random pieces of info about Nathan, my first born:
1* He was born by C-section on a Friday just before 8 pm, weighing in at a whopping 5lbs, 4oz in American Fork - becoming the first grandchild on both sides of the family.
2* He turns even more red than his mom when he's embarrassed and as the "tween" years quickly approach, is a lot more often than it used to be.
3* He is so sensitive and concerned about everyone, I actually worry that he worries too much. He's one of those "old soul" types, yet still finds it irresistibly funny to tease the girls. Hmmmm.
4* He is always looking for things he can do to help me out.
5* He loves soccer and biking (duh, I think we all knew that by now), but also rollerblading, riding his dirt bike, crafting and creating, and also science-y things like rocks, fossils, dinosaurs, cool experiments, and recently has become very aware and concerned for the environment - which when you have just turned 9 pretty much includes the amount of trash he sees around and "why people are trying to kill nature by putting stuff that is bad for the trees and animals everywhere", using too much water when brushing your teeth, making sure you turn off lights when you leave the room, and not leaving your car running because "it puts too much gas in the air we have to breathe" - but I think this is an excellent start!


6* He loves being a big brother, loves it when people say J.D. looks just like him, loves to hear about when he was a baby, and asks if he did the same kinds of things he sees J.D. doing.
7* He is fascinated by what we call "adult conversation" and has been known to repeat some of what he hears at inappropriate times and often to the very people that may have been the topic of those adult conversations. Its just like those granola bar commercials where they say "need a little quiet time?"
8* He is a MASTER builder with Legos - the things he can create with all those tiny parts always amazes me.
9* He's a great band member for Guitar Hero and gives me a run for my money on the drums.
We love you Nathan, and we sure think you're one great kid! Happy birthday!

Oh and another thing that has nothing to do with Nathan (although he was very excited for me) - I finally got my Yudu machine and just have to add a picture of my first creation although my model wouldn't stay very still. Home made gifts for everyone from now on . . . ha ha!

4 comments:

  1. Oh happy birthday Nathan! Doesn't time go by too quickly?! And love all the posts...apparently I am behind, because I hadn't seen most of the ones on the main page! Anyway, hope you guys are doing good! I've been thinking I should call you, but have just been busy painting, cleaning, etc...lame excuses though! And I will do that tag for sure...but I'll do it probably tomorrow because it is seriously too late! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so bitter we missed the birthday party!! But the cake looks very impressive, I must say! Happy Birthday Nathan.. if you even read this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he got his lego skills from his dad...we definately love that kid and think he is one great nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is insane. They are getting big way to fast. Happy Birthday big guy. We sure miss you! And thanks for the tip on my blog. I'm going to be visualizing from here on out! I totally buy into that too:)

    ReplyDelete