Sunday, November 14, 2010

My "Mom Powers" are useless against him

I'm a nice person, I really am.  Actually, I'm pretty sure that most of the world thinks I'm quite the pushover since I have a really hard time saying no and rarely argue with anyone.  But my kids would beg to differ.  I am hard on them, I am a mean mom.  I will admit - I rule with a fist around here, but even if they don't like it, I still maintain that it'll make them grow up to be better members of society. 

As for this little guy, though . . .
. . . he somehow has this ability to zone out when I'm telling him no, knows how to effectively avoid my otherwise perfected "stink-eye", and just smiles through any time-out/punishment/lecture I can dole out.  Then he continues on doing whatever it is he feels like doing - whether its taking off on his bike to the gas station with such speed that no one can catch him, flushing his sister's valuables down the toilet, or carving up the LCD TV screen with a prehistoric shark tooth.  
Yes, he's a little lively, spirited, energetic; but he's so dang cute about it!!  I have felt rather unsuccessful so far in teaching him proper acceptable behavior.  I sort of see him as my wild mustang - his free loving spirit just can't be caged or tamed.  (My sister calls him the Wildebeest, which also makes me laugh for all its truthfulness).  He just gets away with so much.  . . . . But I'm sort of ok with it.  He makes me laugh.  I find his challenging personality entertaining.  His newest tool in getting what he wants is if I have told him no, he responds immediately with, "Please, oh please?  I'll be your best friend!" paired with the cutest little grin - complete with head tilted to the side. 
My powers are useless against him. 
He has 1 volume: LOUD and 1 speed: FULL.  He doesn't know what an "inside voice" is by any stretch of the imagination and is by far the fastest moving human I have ever met. 
Mischievous?  Impish?  Unruly?  Yep.  Yep.  Yep.  
And I love him for it.  
Oh, and I'm so glad he usually ends up being my best friend for some reason or another.  :)     

3 comments:

  1. DARLING! I usually feel the same about my one and only boy. He melts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha the best part is you are not the only one who is powerless against him, he's got that spell on just about everyone. Its JD :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, he'd get away with murder at my house too.

    ReplyDelete